[Wylug-help] How to save page with java applet??

Roger Beaumont roger.b at beaunet.force9.net
Tue May 23 00:39:21 BST 2006

Emon wrote:
> ... I was looking for something to keep records of the coming
> world cup games in Germany & found this java applet at
> http://www.worldcupchart.com/applet.htm
> Honestly speaking I don't know what actually applets are!! I am not all
> that tech savvy  :-P
> The page loaded fine, I saved it, then disconnected, & tried loading the
> page from my home folder, but mozilla says "Loading java applet failed"

Like images, Java applets are linked into a Web page from outside.  Even if
you (or your browser) saves the applet code as well as the HTML code, it is
possible that the link still points at the original (on the Web) so that
once you disconnect, it can't be found any more.  The answer is to look at
the page's 'source code' on your machine.  Sure you won't understand it
all, but you'll probably be able to recognise the references that link to
external bits.  First make sure that you do have a local copy of the code
(as Chris said - he's obviously looked at the particular page, but I
haven't - that'll be a file with a .jar extension; I'm sure he's right that
it is wcup.jar).  Then make sure that the link in your local copy of
applet.htm actually does point at your local copy of wcup.jar (edit your
copy of applet.htm).  I'm guessing that since it doesn't load, your copy of
applet.htm is still pointing to the original code file.

Hope that helps,

Roger