[Wylug-help] Broadband Internet Help

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Fri Oct 27 14:20:20 BST 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 13:15, hxi3 wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have been having some frustrating difficutlies with my ADSL connection,
> and was hoping that you might be able to spare a few minutes and give me
> some advice.
>

> About two weeks ago, I signed up for Virgin broadband.  My decision was
> based upon their unlimited download allowance, one month contract, and
> availability in Halifax.  Since that time, I have experienced frequent
> dropped connections--while I'm surfing the internet, the connection will be
> cut off out of the blue.  There is no rhyme or reason as to when the
> connection is dropped.  It can happen during a download, or when the
> connection is idle.  It can happen at peak usage times and during the low
> usage times.
>

> I have contacted Virgin, and they have suggested that I plug directly into
> the BT test socket in my home--it is the socket just after the BT line
> enters the house.  To be fair, this fix has dramatically reduced the
> dropped connections.  However, I'm still experiencing some interruption in
> service.  Do you have any ideas on what could be causing the dropped
> connections?
>

> I am using a Speedtouch USB ADSL modem that was supplied free of charge by
> Virgin.  It is worth noting that my USB modem is located at the end of a
> 15m telephone extension cable.  Could this be corrupting the signal in any
> way?  It has been suggested to me that a broadband router would provide a
> more stable connection and that network cable is much better at carrying a
> signal over long distances, however I don't want to spend money chasing
> this potential solution without getting some feedback first.
>

> Finally, have I made a mistake in chosing Virigin for my broadband service?
>  Is there a better company out there that you could recommend if my
> troubleshooting efforts don't work out?  I have considered cable, but
> unfortunately, it is not available in my area.
>

> Any help, advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>

> John
>

> PS:  Here is my computer setup
>
> Core 2 Duo 2GHz w/ 2 GB RAM running Suse 10.1/Windows XP dual boot.

Hello John,

Yes using a router can be better for many reasons - security, ease of use,
compatibility, but I wouldn't list stability. They work much the same as Suse
would and sometimes they have older version of pppd than your own distro if
you get a linux/unix based router. And then the errors with sessions, poorly
designed firewalls, limited functionality.

If you have other devices they too can be on the internet without having to
have your PC on and routing enabled and all the hassle that can sometimes
entail.

However frequent line disconnections can be due to many things including

Line noise induced by electrical faults in nearby wiring or radar
installations or railway lines or other sources of electrical interference.
Not very common in domestic situations.

Faulty line filters - sometimes called ADSL splitters - cheap ADSL line
filters don't last - be prepared to replace them occassionally.

Plus Net have a very well written article about lines and noise and all things
like that.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12

You have a poor quality BT telephone line which is just not up to the job -
they should be able to test this - I too used to have a poor quality not up
to the job line - buying a new phone line worked for me - plus another 3
months of harrassing the chairman's office to then get it fixed.

Faulty BT circuit - sometimes the equipment in the exchange is faulty. Not
often but it's not indestructible or perfect.

The last 2 BT can test automatically and quickly, unless you opted out of BT
altogether in which case your line provider can get BT to test or spend 3
weeks attempting to get their (only?) engineer for the country to drive to
your local exchange where he'll break it properly.

Using that dual boot and accidently choosing the one marked Windows. Only
joking - I'm sure the drop outs occur in Linux too.

Better companies? Loads. I'm sure some of them will be emailing you right now
and the list about their latest Linux friendly offerings.

Shaun Laughey