[Wylug-help] Bad Passwords

Trevor Noland trevor at amaro.es
Thu Apr 12 10:19:30 BST 2007

Hello again,

I've been trying to respond to the kind people who have been helping me, but
my e-mails either bounce back, or don't get to the group. I must be doing
something wrong, it's not just a matter of clicking on "respond to sender"
evidently.
Here's a summary of my returned emails:
Anne,
That doesn't seem to work, one of the rejected words was "eureka72", and
it didn't like "Eureka72" either.
Imran,
Unfortunatly my man pages only show passwd(5) (the format of /etc/passwd
file).
I've looked for passwd(1) but it's not there, and an apropos doesn't find it
either.
As a result I don't know how to get root to set other passwords. If it's
possible I expect it's very simple. Can someone tell me the command line
please? Or whatever.
Jim,
I'm looking into this, it requires a bit more than a quick glance.
/etc/pam.d certainly contains something I'll be looking into too.

To answer my own question a bit.
- Nothing helpful in my man pages
- Tried "passwd --help" which did not help

- Tried (from root) "passwd [username]"
  this asked for a password, then objected that it was bad
  and asked again. I reentered the same (bad) password and ...
  it swallowed it whole! So, Bob's your uncle!

Thanks to everbody,
Trevor.