[Wylug-help] CSS/HTML hints needed...

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 13:55:24 BST 2007

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a prod in the right
direction on this (potentially including better places to ask).

I'm having one of my occasional forays into web design.  We are
trying to make the page visually match into some of the printed
material, so want a layout that has a border around the page -
specifically there is a logo block top centre, with a border set of
lines going down the left and right edge (the top part of the border
is a set of swirls, but from then on down its just straight vertical
lines).  Across the bottom is another set of horizontal lines which
cross the side borders at the corners.

I have implemented this by having a 3 column type layout - a (narrow)
leftbar and rightbar (divs) - each of which contain the top image for
the border, and have a repeating background applied in CSS to create
the vertical side borders.  There is a bottom div which contains the
bottom rule (again a repeating backgound applied via CSS) and a bit
of blurb (copyright etc).  The centre (content) div contains the logo
and page content.

The nice thing about this is that it all resizes nicely - I can
handle down to a few hundred pixels wide up to somthing daft with
fonts from stupidly small to Sun outraged headline large.
Appropriate use of transparency on the border images means that you
get a nice crossing effect where side and bottom borders meet/cross.

The problem is that I cannot get the leftbar and rightbar divs to
have an appropriate height - the page content could vary from a few
lines to a few hundred lines.  However there is nothing that pulls
the height of these side bars to match anything else so I currently
have to set an element height in CSS - and that height is either too
large (page finishes - there is a bottom bar in the appropriate
place, but there is a pile of extra side border below and a scrollbar
on the browser window that does nothing useful), or the height is too
small (border runs out before the page does).

One potential solution for this is to do the side pieces as a
background over the whole page (take a small horizontal slice and
repeat it down the page) - but that means that the side borders will
be a fixed distance apart and will not be resizable.

Any ideas how to fix this?

[Just to add complexity into the mix, there are also 2 alternate
layouts for visually impaired folks - these have precisely the same
layout but a different CSS which changes backgrounds and fonts as
well as making the side bars invisible]

	Nigel.