[Wylug-help] Projectx and MPEG transport streams

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 00:39:18 GMT 2007

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 06:32:39PM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Projectx (a java
> app, yuck) claims better performance than avidemux, but it's GUI is
> nothing like the documentation and its CLI options appear to be ignored
> by the binary I've tried.

Just another report back, in case there's anyone out there looking for a
reliable MPEG transport stream demuxer.

Several of my initial problems with projectx appear to have been caused,
not by the app itself, but by the gcj comatible java runtime environment.

Switching to Sun java, reveals something more comprehensible and
useful ... although still nothing like the documentation, and it is
still peppered with controls labelled with unexplained acronyms.

However, it demuxes very well ... so much so, that I've not had to
bother with offsetting audio streams in the multiplexer (mplex) to get
them back in sync (even with fairly crufty transport streams).

The really nice thing about projectx is that I can use its gui to
identify cut points in a whole batch of files, save them, then set it to
demux all the files, later (e.g. when I'm asleep).

Another nice side-effect of using projectx was my discovery that the
venerable mplex utility appears to have been fixed.  When I was last
tinkering seriously with this sort of stuff the web was awash with
complaints about it, and recommendations to use almost anything else
(e.g. a variety of different apps called tcdemux-xxx).

Dave