[Wylug-help] New camcorder with usb2 transfer

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Jan 23 10:40:15 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:49:11PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
[snip]

> >   - What appears in dmesg when you plug the camcorder in via usb.
> > Taking the output and googling that, or maybe the output of lsusb
> > would give you more pointers.
> >
> Nothing in dmesg and nothing in messages.

....then it's probably not in the right mode to do the transfer, ie:
it's not talking USB at all.

Even if it was totally unsupported, you'd still get something along the
lines of "unknown device" in dmesg.

> >   - Posting model numbers of the camcorder might get you more
> > specific info from the group.
>
> Sony DCR-HC35E.  So far I've found no mention of linux compatibility.  Sony
> provide usb drivers for windows and mac.  I've got so used to anything usb
> that's over 6 months old being supported in linux that this has come as a bit
> of a shock.  Unlike some other classes of devices I never thought to check a
> compatibility list before buying.  I'd hate to think that I have to use
> windows to do this - I do have a dual-boot laptop if necessary - but I may be
> beaten, this time.

A bit of googling suggests that it's not going to work, though. Worse
still, you're not likely to get as good results with USB2 as with
Firewire even if you resort to Windows. USB wasn't really designed for
video - Firewire was.

It seems pretty daft that it doesn't have Firewire - my Sony digital 8
camcorder does, and it works beautifully with Linux. True plug and play
- connect it up, fire up Kino and grab away.

Cheers,

James