[Wylug-help] clunking sound on shutdown

Craig Hopkins jha4coh at leeds.ac.uk
Mon May 28 15:19:48 BST 2007

This has happened since the day I installed fedora - when my laptop
shuts down, it says it's releasing md devices, then synchronising the
scsi drive (i apologise for the lack of technical terms, but I can't
read what it's doing that fast) and then it turns off. When it does,
though, it makes the clunking high-pitched sound you'd associate with
suddenly cutting power and the hdd spinning down. It's shutting down
properly, but I can't help wonder whether it's damaging the drive.

The drive is a FUJITSU MHW2120B and I'm running the 2.6.20-1.2948 kernel
on fc6.

Can anyone suggest reasons why it would do this, and whether it is
indeed damaging the drive? When Windows shuts down it doesn't make this
sound.

Cheers,
Craig