[Wylug-help] clunking sound on shutdown

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon May 28 17:34:52 BST 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Craig Hopkins wrote:

> This has happened since the day I installed fedora - when my laptop
> shuts down, it says it's releasing md devices, then synchronising the
> scsi drive (i apologise for the lack of technical terms, but I can't
> read what it's doing that fast) and then it turns off. When it does,
> though, it makes the clunking high-pitched sound you'd associate with
> suddenly cutting power and the hdd spinning down. It's shutting down
> properly, but I can't help wonder whether it's damaging the drive.
>
> The drive is a FUJITSU MHW2120B and I'm running the 2.6.20-1.2948 kernel
> on fc6.
>
> Can anyone suggest reasons why it would do this, and whether it is
> indeed damaging the drive? When Windows shuts down it doesn't make this
> sound.

I'd be *very* surprised if it's doing anything that's damaging the drive.
Personally I'd not think about it too much.  Windows makes more of a clunk on
my laptop than linux because of the synchronisation between it powering off
the fans and the hard disk.

jh

--
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine"
                                                      -- Banksy