[Wylug-help] Colour printer buying advice

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Mon Oct 15 19:38:16 BST 2007

Louisa,

>Our criteria:
>- we won't use it much so it doesn't have to be particularly quick or
>heavy duty (we've got an old mono laser printer for when we don't need
>colour);
>- not too expensive to buy (up to a max of about =C2=A3200);
>- not too expensive to run - we won't use that much ink but we don't
>want to be locked out because we've not replaced the cartridge every 15
>minutes or some other marginally-justified effort to rip us off;
>- either laser or inkjet is fine;
>- decent print quality - photo quality would be ideal but not essential;
>- and, finally an essential: works with linux - ubuntu's gutsy after its
>release on Thursday ;)

In that situation (ie. with a laser for bulk printing) and not too high
a requirement for photo quality prints I always go for one from the HP
range(s) in fact I always look first at the mukti-function printers since
they almost all do stand alone copying, scanning and double sided printing
(and Fax?) as standard (and frequently thus solve other problems).

If you want better colour quality a modern Cannon should be within your
price bracket (but some of them drink ink).

But clearly you need to watch out for any special driver s/w requirements
even for networked printers.

Andrew