[Wylug-help] Debian help needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:13:48 BST 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 09:05, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008, Jim Jackson wrote:
> > Hi Anne,
> >
> > On Sun, 6 Apr 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I'm trying to get spell-checking working on the EeePC.  Neither aspell
> >> nor ispell are in the default repos, and I have been advised to enable
> >> these:
> >>
> >> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> >> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/ stable/non-US main contrib
> >> non-free
> >>
> >> I then have the problem that I haven't got the gpg-key for them.  I
> >> googled,
>
> One extra thing to point out is that, using the apt-get method of
> installing, you are prompted if you want to continue, give the repository
> might not be trusted because of lack of keys.
>
> I'd not install a down loaded deb file, except in exceptional
> circumstances. However if you have to try...
>
>    http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-use-dpkg-to-install-deb-files/

Right, I'll read that, thanks.

Adding extra repos has cost me some heartache, as there are several pages on
the wiki and the forum that recommend repos, and their advice conflicts.
I'll take a look at the list that you recommended, and see how that compares
with the ones I've already got.

I have set up pinning for the ones I installed, and I understand what to do
about any new ones, thanks.

As far as anyone on the forums can tell me the spell-check packages are not
available from any of the xandros repos, which does seem odd.  Personally I
do like them installed, particularly since I mis-type quite regularly on the
EeePC, but I'm trying to get a newbie to linux going, and for him this
package is an essential, so I need to sort it now.