[Wylug-help] Re: Web page problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:26:41 BST 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008 19:52:35 Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Anne
>
> > of slide-shows which appear to be controlled by javascript.
> > Similar slide-shows will be required to be added at various time.
> > This is totally outside my experience - I've only ever done static
> > pages. Where can I learn whatever I need to know to do this?
>
> Javascript can be a bit difficult at times.  I sometimes substitute
> Coppermine which does slide shows.  http://coppermine-gallery.net/
> makes everything easy to manage.

OK, I'll look into that.  I've downloaded it.  I presume that when I unpack
and install it it will be reasonably self-evident how to use it.  I do have
time to play around a little.  It will probably be a week or two before
decisions are made.

> Also does video but Drupal is
> better for video streaming and can do slide shows.  Steep learning
> curve with Drupal but the end result is good.

I know that's mainstream.  I can't really afford the time for a steep learning
curve unless it's absolutely essential.

> Web page editor ?  Not sure.  There's Dream Weaver <throws up under
> table>.  I tend to use Bluefish with Quanta and sometimes NVU or
> Kompozer...
>
> http://www.kompozer.net/
>
> it's your own choice and you have to live with the circumstances :)

Yes, I've used some of these.  They tend to produce rather bloated code, but
it can be tidied up a bit at the end.  OTOH, the outgoing webmaster has used
Dreamweaver - and a fairly old one, I'd guess - and I'm not so sure that that
produced neat code either :-)