[Wylug-help] Web page problem

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 01:34:25 UTC 2008

Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 11:47 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Sunday 28 December 2008 11:38:25 Philip Wyett wrote:
>>> Line: g_ImageTable[g_imax++] = new Array ("IMG_17.JPG", "Winners);
>>>
>>> String  Winners is not terminated.
>> Blow me!  I've stared at that for hours and hours, and still missed it!  And
>> now it runs.  Bless you!
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Anne
>
> My pleasure to assist!
>
> This is something that happens to all developers and any that say it
> never has falls into the category of liar liar pants on fire! lol My
> normal method here is to walk away from it mumbling bad words, grab a
> beer, watch a movie then come back too it later and usually spot it
> fairly quickly. :-)

Editors with syntax highlighting also help: unclosed strings make the
following stuff appear in the wrong colour.  My favourite is Bluefish,
but even jstar (Joe) does it.

My own most similar transgression was long ago, writing Pascal.  The
version of Turbo Pascal I was using then had a line-length limit of 255
characters - and one line had a long trailing comment.  Adding a few
characters to the active code made the 'close comment' characters drop
off the end of the line, so that all code until the next comment was
inactivated.  It took me almost a full week of long days to find that one!

Roger