[Wylug-help] Backup server, IDE+SATA and RAID

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 18:11:23 GMT 2008

Hi folks.

As some of you may remember I have set up an FC7 system with an IDE DVD-ROM
and 3x500GB IDE drives running RAID1 for the boot partition and RAID5 for
everything else.

Unfortunately, this has not provided enough space to hold the volumes created
by Bacula.

I am reviewing the retention details, and the fileset definitions to try to
reduce the storeage requirements, but this will not be enough.

I am looking to add additional drives, but as all the IDE's are taken up I am
looking at SATA drives.

Can anyone see any pitfalls with added one new 500GB SATA drive to the system,
with possible a second one at a later date?

Obviously I will have to make sure the BIOS boot device is set right.

Surely Linux will just see it as another block device and allow me to add it
to the RAID array.

If the new drive(s) are of a different size to the original 3, how will this
affect the RAID and it's performance?

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn