[Wylug-help] setting up server

ROBERTS, Mike mike.roberts at astrium.eads.net
Mon Jun 16 07:58:38 BST 2008

> What do I need to to setup a file sharing server on my network
> (localnetwork).
> I have an old server and I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
> Heron, not
> the server edition as I am not competent with command line.
> I want to
> setup /home folders for users on the server and a shared
> music folder so
> we are not using large amounts of hard drive space.  also later on a
> mailserver for pop3 accounts.  I have looked around and can't
> figure out
> what I need for this purpose.  Also can you recommend good
> sites to get
> a tutorial on setting it up please.
> So far I think I need openssh samba and NFS.

Hi,

I have just been through a similar process. I decided* to go for the
server addition of Ubuntu 8.04 with an add-on called "Webmin". This
gives you a web based front end you can administer the server with from
any other PC on your network. The server then doesnt need a screen or
keyboard hooked up to it and you get a decent web based gui front end to
all the tricky command line stuff on the server.

Webmin also has quite a lot of online help files which I am ploughing
through at the moment.

Webmin is here http://www.webmin.com/.  I dont have to hand the exact
instructions I used to install webmin but a quick google for "webmin"
and "ubuntu 8.04" should point you in the right direction. If I remember
rightly it only took a few lines of commands at the command line to get
it installed and set up. Then it was off to a webbrowser on my desktop
PC to get things configured.

Webmin should take most of the pain out of all the user creating, samba
setting up, email server and it also caters, it would seem, for just
about any server type add on module you could think of.

I mentioned my trying it out to one of the guys at my local LUG
(hertslug) and he said it was very good and he would be lost at work
with out it where he uses it all the time.

These is another centos based linux distribution you could also use for
this kind of server setup. It is called SME server
http://www.smeserver.org/ this a ready to go out of the box server with
built in web based front end. You just install it, follow the on screen
prompts then point a web browser on another machine on the network at
the url the installer gives you and away you go.

Hope this helps

Regards Mike

--

The views expressed in this email are those of the correspondent
and are not those of his employer.

* I tried to use SME server but was installing to a Compaq DL360 which
needs some system / bios type files installing to the MBR and first
partition of the machines HDD. SME server has no facility at all (that I
could find) to configure where to install itself other than effectively
wiping whatever is already on the disk off and starting afresh. So I
went for Ubuntu as I was able to save the setup/diagnostics/bios files
and install the OS where I needed to.

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it
for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all
liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or
falsified.