[Wylug-help] SOLVED Re: Need to re-access old data after Mediawiki upgrade

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 17:27:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 05:39:37PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> So I may need to rebuild the wiki from the database only ... if that's
> possible.

Not necessary.

I 'fixed' the problem, by downgrading all the packages involved to those
in the Ubuntu 8.10, then upgrading again.

The Jaunty version of mediawiki that I originally installed didn't
include a LocalSettings.php file. It just had two hanging symbolic
links:

  /usr/share/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php ->
  /var/lib/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php ->
  Non-existent /etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php

Reinstalling from Intrepid gave me the actual LocalSettings.php file,
which the upgrade to Jaunty then picked up.

I was then misled by this error when I tried to view the wiki:

  Call to a member function selectRow() on a non-object in
  /usr/share/mediawiki/includes/User.php on line 826

Googling suggested that this was a DB authentication error.

In actual fact, it was simply because the Jaunty install didn't
start/restart mysqld .... {sigh}.

Dave