[Wylug-help] application panel missing in KDE

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:08:26 UTC 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 13:49:07 Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Monday 11 January 2010 10:34:00 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 11 January 2010 10:14:44 Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > > Hi folks.
> > >
> > > On one of my desktop machines, running FC10 and kde4.3 I've managed to
> > > remove the applicatio panel from the bar at the bottom of my screen.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me how to get it back. I've tried going through the add
> > > widget dialogs etc., but can't find what I need to add.
> >
> > You were looking in the right place.  Add widgets > Task Manager.  (Don't
> > forget that F10 is nearing EOL)
> >
> > Anne
>
> Thanks for that Anne, all sorted.
>
> I have a FC11 system on my DELL laptop, which fixed all the hardware issues
> I had with FC10 on that box.  However, I seem to remember that the
> recommended upgrade route from 10 to 11 is a clean install. This is what I
> did for the laptop, but for this desktop, I would rather not have to do
> that if possible.
>
> What are people's experiences with doing a normal upgrade? Are there many
> gotcha's that would pevent it working for me?

I don't recall the details, but ISTR that there was some serious problem for
upgrades between F10 and F11. which caused breakages.  My advice would be to
back up your /home and /etc, go for a clean install, copy back what's
relevant.  I doubt if you will have any problems from your /home but it's
always safer to just copy in the bits you know you need, and the backup /etc
will save you hours of work.

I did upgrade between F11 and F12 - not my normal practice.  It took several
times longer than a clean install, and I still had to sort out some problems.
I'll not do it again.  The backup/install route is faster and safer.

KDE Community Working Group