[Wylug-help] Slow Internet with Ubuntu 11.04

T. Noland noland at amaro.es
Thu Sep 1 23:34:34 UTC 2011

Thanks for the advice, James.

Tried disabling the 128-bit WEP encryptation in the router and it seemed to make a difference at first. Some pages loaded quickly in
Firefox, but others didn't. I realised that the ones that did were from the bookmarks, and may somehow have been in memory, as they
were the pages I'd always used for testing. New pages loaded, but slowly. Maybe not as slowly as with WEP encryptation.
When I tried a big download, with the update-manager, I came to the conclusion that it really had made no difference, as the
download just ground to a halt, as before, once it had got to where it should be downloading new stuff (not the updates that had
finally arrived after 45 mins yesterday, and which, I assume, must have been skipped over as they had already been feched).
Turned encryptation back on in the hardware, and added the files suggested to modprobe.d, and rebooted. Useless. The bookmarked
pages loaded allright, new pages wouldn't load at all, update-manager flaked out (I don't know why I bothered testing that, I
suppose just to try something that didn't go through the browser).
Conclusion: After a reboot, Internet goes from "reasonable" to "useless" in a matter of two or three browser pages, fairing a bit
better with encryptation disabled (although that may be a coincidence, there might be some other, as yet unknown, reason why a few
pages seemed to me to come in quicker.)

BTW, during the installation process, run under the "live" Ubuntu, the wireless link and Internet must have worked okay. Also I
think I read somewhere that it works okay with 10.04 (I obviously haven't tried that, but if it is so I'll probably install that
instead of 11.04). I plugged in an RJ45 cable and the connection was perfect. (Bliss, but it rather defeats the reason for me buying
a laptop in the first place.)

I feel you are right in that the problem is with the driver for the Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (a known issue as you
say), and until someone comes up with a driver that works, or a workaround that works generally, not just specifically, Ubuntu 11.04
is a non-runner on laptops with this "card" (or whatever it is.)

Trevor.