[Wylug-help] Slow Internet with Ubuntu 11.04

Trevor Noland trevor at amaro.es
Fri Sep 2 08:18:15 UTC 2011

I'm flumoxed.
This morning I retried everything I did last night, running live ubuntu, installed ubuntu, with and without encryptation and (with a
few pauses which may be because of servers having too much work), everything worked almost perfectly. I downloaded and installed 176
MB of updates, I surfed the web. Funny thing though, I tried to access the router (from Firefox, it has an html interface) and it
took far longer than I would have expected, considering that it was serving pages from itself, without needing the Internet.
Have Atheros and Ubuntu sent their fairies to fix my computer during the night?
The only difference from when nothing worked is the presence of a couple of files in /etc/modprobe.d
Plus, of course, the telephone company has assigned me a different IP. Everything has been turned off during the night (computers,
router), and this morning things just started working right.
Ahh, but for how long?
I can't help feeling unsatisfied though, as when something starts going right for no apparent reason, it can just as easily start
going wrong, for the same unknown reasons.

Trevor.