[Wylug-help] Slow Internet with Ubuntu 11.04 (Last Post?)

Trevor Noland trevor at amaro.es
Sat Sep 3 09:27:03 UTC 2011

Last night I placed my new laptop beside my old desktop and started both.
Both run Ubuntu 11.04. Both are connected to the same LAN, the desktop via a cable to the router/hub, the laptop via WiFi to the
same router, which is about a yard away from the computer.
It was hopeless.
I installed Chromium browser (on the laptop), which started off okay, seemed quick with Google dynamically suggesting sites as I
typed in, but when I clicked on one it just dried up.
While I was waiting I did the same on the desktop (with Firefox), and got immediate response (the laptop still waiting).
I tried a few more sites, and did an "mtr" in a terminal (on both machines) with similar results as before: the desktop worked, the
laptop didn't.
Fed up, I closed down and went to bed.
This morning I fired up everything again, and tried the same tests. Both laptop and desktop work perfectly.
I haven't done anything, honestly. The setup is the same this morning as it was last night, only everything has been turned off for
about 9 hours.
I give up (at least for the time being.)

Trevor.