[Wylug-help] server distro's - was grub problems...

Nigel Metheringham nigel at dotdot.it
Thu Jul 12 07:39:53 UTC 2012

Centos had a rough period where updates and new versions took an age to
work their way through the rebuild and testing.  This appeared to
galvanise some sponsors into action (providing both effort and some
hardware) and their lag over straight RHEL has been much much lower in
recent months - Centos 6.3 appeared only a week or so after the official
RHEL release.

Personally I use Centos on servers with our own repository to back it up
- that one has in house packages along with our own builds of other
needed packages (these are normally just EPEL or similar repo packages
that have been rebuilt on our build system) - we do things this way so
that there are only 2 trusted repositories and everything going onto the
servers has a signature from either a Centos or our own buildsystem key.

We do use our own perl packages - Centos 6 is now 3 major releases
behind mainline, and Centos 5 is 12 years out of date.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel at dotdot.it ]
[                 Ellipsis Intangible Technologies                  ]