[Wylug-help] Mobile broadband

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 10:30:55 UTC 2013

lThree have the best coverage but it's not always 3G in the sticks and the
Mifi doesn't work with GSM, so you'd be better off with a SIM and an
unlocked dongle or cheap phone with tethering capability.

I'd like to put in a word for AAISP's mobile data SIM deal - the SIM costs
£12 then £2.40 a month plus usage at about 2p/Mb and provides a static IP
address and unfiltered data. It uses Three's network so combined with a
dongle may be useful if you don't want always on data: here's the details:
http://aaisp.net.uk/telecoms.html

s/

On 1 October 2013 01:56, roger <roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Having retired, I'm planning to buy a narrow boat and to spend a couple of
> years cruising the inland waterways.  However, I need to remain connected!
>
> Google searches suggest either a "3G data only dongle" or using a mobile
> phone to create "a 3G hotspot" (whatever that might be). There's also a
> firm offering a 500 quid marine water proof 'solution' that still needs a
> 3G data-only SIM.
>
> Keeping in mind that I'll be cruising inside a steel hull with relatively
> small windows, on which rain will inevitably fall, does anyone know
> practical details of how I can stay on-line.
>
> Cost is, of course, a factor, but when the boat will cost 33k, *almost*
> any cost will be in proportion.  I'm still a tyke, so unnecessary expense
> is still to be avoided.
>
> Incidentally, can anyone recommend a network monitoring tool that is
> Fedora compatible, so I can measure my current (land based) usage and
> select an appropriate contract?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Roger

Twitter: @sfgreenwood