[Wylug-help] Mobile broadband

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Oct 1 10:45:03 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I have a similar situation with our touring caravan.

Network coverage is quite hit and miss across all the networks, so I have a
variety of SIM cards and just see which works in a given location.

All the networks have coverage maps, although I'm not convinced of their
accuracy.

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 10:25:34AM +0100, Martyn Ranyard wrote:
> In terms of providers, only Three's One Plan seems to be the only contract
> that allows tethering and unlimited data.  That works out at about £15 per
> month sim-free (just buy a device, no point spreading the cost as you pay

Correct, but it must be in a phone and not a wifi hotspot device or dongle. A
cheap android phone with tethering ability will meet this requirement though.

Using a phone, however, means you won't be able to directly attach an external
antenna. There are passive, inductively coupled adapters for "connecting" an
external antenna but I don't know how well they work.

eg: http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-datacard-to-antenna-adapters-adpt-024.htm

Three is 3G only, with no fallback to 2G (GPRS / Edge) for data, so you either
have 3G or nothing.

As far as antennas go, I have a 21 foot aluminium mast with a 19dB yagi
antenna. This feeds a 3G booster amplifier in the caravan to provide service to
any devices inside. You'd probably be better off with some sort of
omnidirectional antenna though (and not on a tall mast!).

> more eventually.  If three lack coverage and you want O2's coverage,
> giffgaff is the sensible option.

I use GiffGaff in my iPad and it's cheap and cheerful for low to medium usage.
500MB per month is £5 as opposed to £7.50 on Three. Coverage is OK, but you'll
only get 2G out of the major cities. 2G is OK for a bit of mail, but useless
for the web.

> Much as Orange and T-Mobile have
> "sort-of-merged" to create EE (Which I'm sure stands for Extremely

EE seems to manage good coverage in the sticks, but it is indeed expensive. I
have an EE SIM as a last resort. It's billed on usage at something stupid like
5p per MB.

> Expensive), O2 and Vodafone are creating "Cornerstone" so hopefully
> giffgaff's coverage will increase because of this. Personally if I'm

No experience on Vodafone, although I have a SIM.

T-Mobile is quite good in that you can pay for a day, week or month of access.

> *Fair use policies as I'm sure you're aware mean "we say unlimited but if
> you use a lot of data, we'll put limits on it".

Except Three's "One Plan", they genuinely mean unlimited.

One other thing to mention is that some networks proxy and/or filter the
traffic. This can be intrusive or just plain inconvenient. A subscription to a
VPN service (or a cheap VPS running OpenVPN) will circumvent any network-level
meddling provided that VPN connections aren't blocked.

Best regards,

James