[YLUG] Install day and RedHat Query : Thank you

ekes ekes at aktivix.org
Sat Apr 22 12:06:02 BST 2006

Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 17:11 +0100, Varsani, Rajendrakumar (PSD) wrote:
>> Dudes, you guys kill me with your quirky pet names!  ; )
>
> He's just bitter and twisted.  The fact is that there are several
> distributions - with a high degree of compatibility between them -
> within the Red Hat camp, with different intended functionality and
> properties.  I run Fedora on my laptop because I am happy with the idea
> of fast moving development, the latest toys etc and can handle some
> instability, however I run Centos on servers here because its good on
> compatibility and stability, and I don't necessarily want to upgrade
> several hundred boxes on a 6 month (or 1 year) cycle like I would have
> to with Fedora.

I'd also go for Fedora on a laptop (and do), rather than RHEL/Centos.
I've only used Centos on boxes for servers, but I get the impression
that it's always going to be a bit behind for some stuff you want. All
that fast moving development and toys mean it does actually do stuff
with Laptop hardware that you expect. Like since hibernate and sleep
started working with this laptop with FC4 it's now been up 100% of the
time \o/

And as suggested they are similar so if you know a Fedora box, you are
going to find your way round a RHEL one. I still have fun every time I
go to do something less than mundane on a Debian box ;-)