[YLUG] Another machine looking for a new home ...

Simon Ward simon at principia.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 20:09:53 BST 2006

My old wireless gateway machine is surplus to requirements. Spec as follows:

- Dell Optiplex GX110 (mini desktop)
- 466MHz Celeron
- 256Mb RAM
- 40Gb hard disk
- Usual stuff on board (eg. USB, LAN, VGA etc.etc)
- Additional PCI NIC (had trouble getting the on-board NIC to work with
   Linux, although it worked fine under Windows 2000)

Note that this machine does not include an internal optical drive due to
Dell's monumentally crap design (it may take a slimline drive) - I will
throw in a CD burner which could be either put into an external USB
enclosure or connected to the motherboard via a flying lead.

Has Ubuntu (don't remember which version) installed and has stuff like
MySQL, RADIUS and whatnot set up to allow controlled wireless access
(it's running the chillispot captive portal software). No surprising
hardware, so should run most flavours of Linux and probably older
versions of a certain OS developed in the Pacific Northwest.

First person to come up with £20 can have it, but they'll have to collect.

Simon