[YLUG] Server purchase

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Fri May 19 14:24:36 BST 2006

Hi Richard, my £0.02 --

Yes SCSI is avoidable :)  I'd recommend 3ware SATA controllers.  These have a
solid hardware RAID implementation with an open-source driver and solid (and
closed source) control tool.  I think we pay <£200 for a 4-port 9550
controller.  We also favour Supermicro barebones chassis for being solidly
built, well-cooled and reliable.  Put in the memory / processor etc. that you
need (e.g. 4x74GB WD 10,000RPM Raptor drives would give you a bit over 140GB
in a super-fast and super-cheap RAID10 configuration, or 200Gb in a RAID5)
and you won't go far wrong -- we use www.tmc-uk.com for supplying both
Supermicro and 3ware kit.

Re: "branded" versus "unbranded" debate, while I'm sure Dell/HP are reliable
we never saw the premium as being worth it, and smaller server manufacturers
in this country just didn't do a good enough job for us.  Supermicro get the
"hard stuff" right (chassis design, cooling and motherboard) without making
you pay too much of a premium for a fully-built server.  You just buy the
base and plug in your own memory, drives & CPU ... very little to go wrong!

We have 10s of these particular servers which average hundreds of days of
uptime between upgrades.

Personally if you only *think* you might need a cluster setup, you probably
don't as you can introduce a million new failure cases if you're not
careful :-)  I would just budget for a permanent stock of spare bits for one
decent server, and buy quality parts: power supply, fans, drives etc. which
are the most likely things to fail.

--
Matthew Bloch                             Bytemark Hosting
                                http://www.bytemark.co.uk/