[YLUG] Re: Dual xorg.conf

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Tue Nov 28 21:34:22 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 17:31, Matthew Burton wrote:
> Hey people,
>
> Thanks for the help before! I've had a bit of work to do so I left it
> until now to try the script for changing between graphics cards. It now
> reads:
>
> rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> lspci | grep "GeForce Go 6600"
> if [ "$?" = "0" ];then
>     echo "Swap in xorg.conf for nvidia"
>         ln -s /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> else
>     echo "Swap in xorg.conf for i915"
>     ln -s /etc/X11/xorg.conf.i915 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> fi
>
> And it works!
> I put it in rc.local and xorg.conf does get swapped but the problem is
> that X seems to have already started by this stage and read xorg.conf.
> So if I use my i915 then swap to the nvidia and reboot it throws a
> wobbly, reboot again and it works (the file is correct this time).
>
> So it there somewhere else I can put the script before X reads xorg.conf?
>
> Thanks, Mat

You can symlink to it from /etc/rc2.d/  - follow the conventions of the other
filenames, and give it a low number; maybe tweak gdm/kdm to have a higher
number, too ;)

Good to hear you've got it working.

Another alternative is to add "/etc/init.d/?dm reload" to the end of the
script (starts/reloads gdm or kdm, whichever you have installed), and leave
it as it is now.

xF,

...Nick