[YLUG] Talk volunteers

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Mon Oct 2 13:46:43 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:50:05AM +0100, Robert Hulme wrote:
> >On a related note, I was wondering whether anyone would have the
> >interest and expertise to consider putting audio or even video of the
> >talks up on the wesite as well as the slides?

> That's a really good idea.
>
> Does anyone have a camera we could use? Then we could film the person
> / slides - although I don't know what the quality would be like.

I think that while video would be cool (and don't let me stop anyone),
it wouldn't add much to most talks since they tend not to have much
visual component aside from the slides. For things with live demos some
sort of screen capture approach rather than an actual camera might be
easier. You'd only really need a video camera for cases where the
speaker's movements carried important information, and that doesn't
seem to happen a lot.

> The alternative is to record just the audio and then get someone to
> sync the slides up with the audio afterwards. I have no idea how hard
> to do this is (or what software one would use to do it).

A first pass approach is a method used on children's story book/tape
combos: "When you hear this noise 'BOIIINGGG!', turn to the next slide."
and just have the user step through the slides themselves while
listening to the audio. It breaks a bit if people move back and forward,
but could work. Alternatively, a zeroth order approach is to do nothing
- most speakers tend to say things like "And on this next slide we can
see...." which would give people an informal cue.

Ewan