[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Wed Aug 8 00:33:41 BST 2007

> I would define something as mission-critical if you, your boss, your
> department or your company comes under serious fire when it breaks.
> Sounds like something to manage server rackspace could become fairly
> mission critical in the event of a system failure.
> But like I said, it's all dependant on context. I should imagine that
> downtime due to some misconfiguration because rackgraph made a booboo
> would be much more important if the servers belonged to a banking
> institution or stock market instead of a small intranet or website...
> for example.
Given that Alex said earlier that he has to make this work for 40
racks it probably is pretty critical not to fsck it up.

Where I work we have about 2,000 'servers' along with 400-500
workstations. As you can imagine, management of that is a bit of a
nightmare. AFAIK they don't have anything as 'advanced' as what Alex
is intending to write. Which explains why today I logged in to a
machine which belongs to my group which we thought had been unplugged
and thrown away 3 years ago. It got lost in the system (like lots of
other servers I imagine).

-Rob

--
http://www.robhulme.com/