[YLUG] Grub

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 23:56:10 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 20:14 +0000, Alex Howells wrote:
> *cough* Perhaps now would be a good time to suggest Debian if this is
> a server, or Ubuntu for desktops? ;)

I abandoned Fedora Core at FC4. I used to be a lover of Redhat (used it since uni back in 199?!)
and FC1, 2 and 3 were magic. FC4 totally screwed everything up for me (horrific package management, instability and so on)
and I then discovered the joys of Kubuntu, Ubuntu and lately Debian. Now sold on Ubuntu for
my desktop and Debian for my non-Windows servers. Getting dragged over to Debian for both as time goes by though!

I expect computers to work. I expect my OS to work. I don't want to faff about for longer than, say, 2 hours patching, prodding and poking
to get things right. I'll spend longer than that hammering out real issues but my basic OS should, IMHO, just. work.

If I want a Windows (XP) installation to be relatively safe, secure and working with basic applications and so on, I put aside 6-8 hours. That is
instalation, patching, drivers yadda yadda. For Linux to do the same I am amazed if it takes me more than an hour. Linux wins!

Ubuntu is yummy! excuse the pun!
Debian is as solid as a rock
Fedora Core is like the Vista of the Linux world. That might change at the next release and that is what gets
my goat the most - how can one distro change so much between incarnations? I know that FC is meant
to be "bleeding edge" but there is a difference in the real world between Casualty, Holby City and The Friarage, Northallerton.
Sod bleeding edge, just get something stable and useable.

Rant, gnash and another bottle of OS (home brewed!) beer!