[YLUG] Grub

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:54:05 GMT 2007

On 10/12/2007, Arthur Clune <arthur at clune.org> wrote:

> I'd blame the users. Fedora isn't suitable for running on a server.
> Blaming it for that is like blaming water for being wet.  Fedora
> explicitly says it's a cutting edge distro with no long term support.
>
> CentOS is a perfectly fine server distro for those that like a
> redhat derived one (for those that don't know it's RedHat
> Advanced Server minus the RH branding). Debian/Ubuntu
> are also fine products.

Fedora can be run perfectly well as a server provided it is kept up to date
on security issues.
Once it is running, and properly configured it will just sit there are work
provided you don't let do its own updates and even with the latest version
once it is properly set up it will work fine - in the weeks soon after a new
release then some tinkering is almost always needed.
Of course you can run version latest-1 (=n) and update it periodically and
then only install the next one when n+2 is on the verge of release, by which
time version n+1 is usually pretty stable.

I guess much depends on how familiar the person administering it is the the
details of cutting edge development.