[YLUG] Deaf Lug

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 16:55:10 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 03:46:58PM +0000, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Need some advice here.
> I am about to start a Deaf Lug and reason for that is I get lots of
> emails regarding Linux.
> So I thought I d set up one although I do say go to your local lug
> they help/won't bite etc.
> You're thinking why another lug...
> Deaf people who brought up in BSL (British Sign Language) so English
> is not our first language. So if he/she posts on here people might
> think someone a foreign and speaks a little English and helpfully
> point them to another lug. I have seen that happen a few times on
> forums (not on this mailing list).
>
> My question is (don't worry I am not leaving this list) when setting
> up a lug do you get shot down ie get people saying your wasting your
> time Micrsoft the way forward etc. see below

The main issue that people worry about is fragmentation - in this
case, either or both of the Linux community or the Deaf community.
As long as you're clear on what your purpose is and what resources
you're using, it ought to work out just fine.  Don't worry too much
about the detractors - the worst that can happen is that you'll set
it up to see what interest there is, find that there's none, report
that there's none and close it down again.  Anything that the
detractors may say in advance of trying it out is just speculation
(unless someone's already tried several times to get one going and
got no interest each time, of course.)

--
 -- zoe