[YLUG] Deaf Lug

Richard Birnie rbirnie at totalise.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 17:07:34 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 15:46, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Need some advice here.
> I am about to start a Deaf Lug and reason for that is I get lots of
> emails regarding Linux.
> So I thought I d set up one although I do say go to your local lug
> they help/won't bite etc.
> You're thinking why another lug...
> Deaf people who brought up in BSL (British Sign Language) so English
> is not our first language. So if he/she posts on here people might
> think someone a foreign and speaks a little English and helpfully
> point them to another lug. I have seen that happen a few times on
> forums (not on this mailing list).
>
> My question is (don't worry I am not leaving this list) when setting
> up a lug do you get shot down ie get people saying your wasting your
> time Micrsoft the way forward etc. see below

You will always get those people who believe that Microsoft rule the world and
won't entertain the idea of any alternatives. Ignore those people, they are
not your target audience. The people who might be interested in what you
suggest are those who are already interested in linux or are considering it
as a possibility but who feel that the existing linux community is lacking
something for them.

In your position I would take ekes advice and make sure there is not something
similar out there already. If there is, consider contributing to that. If
there isn't and you feel you can bring something to the linux community that
it doesn't have already then that is enough of a reason to start a Deaf LUG.
Pay no attention to the doomsayers, who cares if it's only 3 or 4 geeks.
That's 3 or 4 geeks whose linux experience could be improved by the existence
of a Deaf LUG.

There are other people on this list who can advise you better then me about
how to go about setting up a LUG.

Best of luck if you decide to go ahead.

Richard