[YLUG] Mailing list

Rachel Cavill rachel.cavill at googlemail.com
Thu May 17 12:22:00 BST 2007

On 5/17/07, Noah Slater <nslater at gmail.com> wrote:

> > But reply-to-all != reply-to-list.
> >
> > The former replies to the sender and the list which
> > usually isn't what I want.
>
> Any decent mailing list software spots the double reply and leaves the
> original sender out of the list of recipients from the reply. This is
> mailing list dev 101 - all modern lists will do this.

But that isn't the main problem.  What should be the desirable action when
replying to an email which someone has sent to a mailing list (or several
lists) and some of their friends? Reply to all will reply to all these
people, reply in your instance will only reply to the sender, there's then
no option for me to reply to just the list I am subscribed on.

I do wish my mail client would make it easier for me to reply just to
sender, but in general I think reply-to-list as default is the best option.

Rachel