[YLUG] Installfest preparations

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 10:50:23 BST 2007

Hi,
  Installfest preparations are progressing - a lot of publicity has
gone out over the weekend, many thanks to my helpers.  Just a few more
ideas for things that need to be organised - if you can volunteer for
any of this, please let me know (direct, on list or on IRC):

- Maybe some kind of business card with YLUG contact details on it,
to hand out on the day.  Anyone want to put something together?  I'll
try to double-check later that I've actually put the SVG of the YLUG
logo somewhere accessible.

- The same, but for name badges on the day - would be cool if someone
could be all in charge of designing those and having them available on
the day.

- Customising the install - the login screen idea seems to be a neat
way of achieving this, although we're intending on having kubuntu
available as well and I'm guessing we would need to customise kdm
there.  We need to come to a final decision on whether to build our own
custom install CD or to patch the install afterwards.  I'm good with
either, I just need to get an idea of which is preferred so that I can
get on with organising it.  Will go ahead with whatever looks best on
Wednesday.

- Other distros/OSs/apps - I know there are people here who are more
familiar with other distros, would be neat to have some idea of who can
bring what (it's rare that a random machine won't work with ubuntu, but
if it's going to happen it's likely to happen at the installday).
Similarly, if we could diversify and demonstrate Free software on OSX
and that Windows thingy, that might be useful to the visitors.  Anyone
willing to show off other stuff?  Inferno?  PC-BSD?  Haiku?  I'd love
to see some of these things in action and the installfest seems like a
good place to do this.

I'll try to sort out the publicity at the University today, is there
anyone who regularly hangs out at or near York St John University who
can take posters in to the SU there?

That's all I can think of for the moment, I'm sure other stuff will
come to me soon.

--
 -- zoe