[YLUG] Mapping event, 2nd August

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Tue Jul 22 15:46:56 BST 2008

I've been looking at the OSM Mapping Party howto.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping_Weekend_Howto

I think we should consider our planned mapping event to be a "test party".
For a full-blown mapping party we need to be a bit more organised and
announce the event further ahead of time and so on.  It seems like there
are some loan GPS units available from the core OSM folks, although I don't
know if we have enough time now to get hold of them.

For our event, I think we can do some ground work for a future event.  This
includes:

+ Getting ourselves familiar with the mapping process.
+ Finding a decent venue for meeting up between mapping sessions.
+ Deciding how much is enough / too much mapping.

I have written up a list of mapping activities which we can do, many of
which do not require a GPS.  I'll send that after this email.  Some of the
activities are best done on the day, and some can be on-going things which
you can try at your leisure - some you can do from home.

Matthew