[YLUG] which printer driver for Brother printer?

nigel white xm2 at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 19 15:27:47 UTC 2008

Hi

Brother have a helpful page for Linux printer drivers for my HL-5240
printer at
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/download_prn.html#HL-5240

I am given the choice between a lpr driver (format rpm), cupswrapper
driver (fromat rpm), lpr driver (format deb), cupwrapper driver (format
deb), ppd file (format gz). Which do I go for?

I am a raving newbie on Ubuntu 8.04. This is the first time I have
installed a printer in Linux, so I will be following the help pages on
the Brother site.

The Brother printer will be used via a network. The printer itself is on
a USB port on the back of a NAS server.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the YLUG day. I have various issues
and questions I am stuck with.

Best wishes
Nigel White
Leeds