[YLUG] Wireless networking of desktop PCs

Harry Mills harry at haeg.in
Thu Sep 24 21:48:07 UTC 2009

Well PCI takes up a PCI slot whereas USB takes a USB port up so you could
use whichever you feel you need less. USB adaptors tend to have more puny
antennas but then again you can use an extension cable to route them out of
the window and pick up wireless from that coffee shop down the road etc. I
have used D-Link wireless PCI cards and Safecom USB adaptors in the past and
both have worked fine. Generally search for anything that uses the Atheros
chipset and it will be fine.

On 24/09/2009, Roger Leigh <rleigh at codelibre.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> In order to prevent the need for long runs of ethernet around the
> house, I'm considering getting some sort of wireless hardware for
> my desktop PC in order to allow it to connect to the wireless
> network provided by our ADSL router.  I've not used wireless much,
> let alone on a non-laptop system where it is not typically built-in.
>
> Could anyone recommend any Linux-compatible hardware that can be
> configured without the need for NetworkMangler^H^H^H^Hager to
> make it work?
>
> I've seen both USB and PCI devices available; is one preferable
> or are both equally decent in terms of hardware support, ease of
> configuration and system overhead during operation?
>

> Thanks,
> Roger
>
> --
>   .''`.  Roger Leigh
>   : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux             http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/
>   `. `'   Printing on GNU/Linux?       http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/
>    `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please GPG sign your mail.

Regards,
Harry Mills
http://haeg.in

If you don't have a good feel for the growth rate of powers of 2, then a
little old man will save your daughter, and you'll grant him anything you
want in your kingdom, and he'll say he just wants one grain of rice on the
first square of a chessboard, then 2 in the second, 4 on the third, and so
on. And then: you'll be all out of rice.