[YLUG] Laptops and the repeating keyboard bug

James McLaughlin jmclaugh at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 16:25:05 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron on an old-ish Compaq laptop, and would welcome some advice.

Basically, every later version of Ubuntu (from Intrepid to Maverick) I've installed on it has been
affected by a bug whereby every so often, when I release a key, the computer doesn't realise that
this has happened and endless keypress events occur - like thissssssssssssssss.

(Same symptoms as kernel bug 9147, but a different cause as it occurs even with ACPI switched off.)

If the problem persists on Ubuntu Natty, I'll have to replace my laptop, and wondered if any of my
fellow York-based Linux users could provide me with some advice? If anyone is using Lucid or
Maverick on a laptop that's not affected by this, please could they tell me the manufacturer/model
number of the laptop?

Similarly, any advice on choosing a replacement would be helpful.

Thanks,

James McLaughlin.