[members at lugog] Introduction:

Kelvin McNulty kelvin2463 at gcircle.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 07:59:39 UTC 2010

Graham Lucas wrote:
> This rather illustrates my point. I can get a W7 machine and just run the
> software. I can get a Linux machine (if I can find one and after I've
> heard
> all the pros and cons of each distro), *then* get wine (if I know about
> it),
> *then* install the software.
>
> For people who are not that interested in what makes the PC tick, W7 is
> the
> easier, more straightforward option.
>
> Graham
>
> Graham Lucas AICB (comp)
> www.spectrumofficesolutions.co.uk
> www.randomcrafts.co.uk
> www.cheryllucasillustration.com
> www.lizlucas.co.uk

I recently installed Linux Mint on a castoff machine that is not up to
running Windows. It runs like a dream! The OpenOffice on it will open
.docx files no problem. GIMP deals with graphics. Iplayer works no
problem. All I now need is WinSCP and five minutes on WineHQ (link below)
showed me that I can. So that's for later (the machine is in my office and
I'm curled up in bed with my 5 year old Xandros Linux laptop typing this).

I love Linux's trustworthiness compared with Windows. So many Windows
users that I know are having hassle with worms, viruses and heavy duty
resource hungry security software. I don't tell them about Linux in case
they come up with the above argument as put by Graham which means that
telling them about Linux is a waste of time. One of them uses voice
recognition software (he has RSI so can't type much) and I could spend
time researching if that would work on Linux but CBA for now. Time will
tell if W7 really has fixed Microsoft's appalling vulnerability and
promiscuity.

If you have enough money, Windows 7 on a new computer seems good - much
better than awful Vista - and my voice recognition using friend is going
that route. If you haven't got the money, Linux makes total sense to me,
but I no longer want to spend hours of my time convincing anyone else.

Kelvin
Delighted Linux user.