[members at lugog] Free software: great power

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Fri Jun 21 12:09:16 UTC 2013

On 21 June 2013 10:32, Ian Dickinson <i.j.dickinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any attempt to 'take over' this */USER/* group for base socio-political
> > purposes will inevitably generate extremely irate comment from me.
> Oh come on Martin, that's pure trolling (which I suspect you know full
> well!). This "group" is moribund, and has been for years. Check the
> archives. If anyone did want to take it over for any vaguely useful
> purpose, good luck to them I would say. However, that's not what Phil
> was suggesting, and labelling someone's actions as "base", whatever
> your view of the merits of their argument, is just being rude for no
> good purpose. Let's keep the debate civil.

I never suggested that Phil was trying to take over anything...  I didn't
like the tone of "Whether you realize it or not, by joining this list you
declare yourself part of the team. What have you done for software freedom
lately?"...

This list is meant to be about those who use Linux being able to ask for
help... there is no requirement for them to be running around fixing
peoples' computers, contributing software patches to open source software
or anything else.

If we ever are to get this list active again, then I think we have to make
it clear that the list is open to ANYBODY who USES Linux, not just experts.

Martin's LPI courses that he started at the ill-fated ICT Centre in
Glastonbury showed that many of our group do not know a great deal about
the workings of Linux, and that is fine -- the fact they use it is enough,
if they want to learn more then there are people here who can help them do
so.

I think "checklists" are counter-productive... hence why I wrote what I did
yesterday.

> That said, I'm not particularly minded to blow my own trumpet about my
> own open-source contributions, etc, partly because it doesn't feel
> very British but mostly because I have few enough hours in the day
> left for eating and sleeping as it is.

:-)