[Gllug] [OT] Sound processing.

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 08:19:48 UTC 2011

On Dec 29, 2011 7:22 PM, <dave.lambley at gmail.com> wrote:

> A finite impulse response (
> FIR) filter is what you want to apply to the audio. To implement one you
store the last n samples, multiply each by a particular coefficient and sum
the result to produce the output sample.

> So far so straight forward. The hard part is calculating the
coefficients, though recipes for common filters can probably be found in
the right textbook. Generating them from a 3D model is beyond what I know,
but one thing you can do is measure a real life object (such as a
cathedral) and simulate the acoustic behaviour of that digitally.

Ok. I understand FIR, i have used those recently for something else.
I need to find out how to get from 3d model to FIR coefficients, and the
reverse. I.e. For a given source and destination waveform, can i determine
the shape of the tunnel?
The possible shape of the tunnel will be constrained.