[HLUG] WLAN cards - a useful site

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 18 17:58:27 GMT 2007

Hi

If you've ever wanted to know the answer to the perennial question -
What type of WLAN card/dongle should I buy to work with Linux ? Then
visit :-

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

It's an up to date list of all of the cards, chipsets and current status
of drivers etc.

WLAN dongles are a real pain. Here's an example. I went to buy a Belkin
WLAN dongle from Argos yesterday. When I got home I discovered it was
the slightly older type, but the packaging is almost exactly the same as
the newer one.

> 802.11g 	F5D7050 v.1xxxx
> 	USB 	Prism GT 	Prism54 	grey 	Driver available at:
> http://prism54.org/; also sold as MicraDigital
> 802.11g 	F5D7050 v.2xxxx
> 	USB 	Ralink 	rt2x00 	grey 	Driver available from manufacturer:
> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/supp-1.htm or http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
> 802.11g 	F5D7050 v.3xxxx 	man: 050d dev: 705a 	USB 	Ralink 	rt2x00
> green 	Driver available from manufacturer:
> http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/supp-1.htm ,You must add the Belkin USB
> ID data to rtmp_def.h to the #define RT73_USB_DEVICES section: or
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
> 802.11g 	F5D7050 v.4xxxx 	man: 050d dev: 705c 	USB 	Zydas 	ZD1211
> green 	http://zd1211.ath.cx/ ZD1211B; edit Makefile according to the
> pointers on the site

The v3000 I bought uses a different chipset to the v4000 model. Both
have GPL drivers but only one wanted to work with my Ubuntu Feisty Fawn
installation.

So in the end, I had to take it back, (got a full refund !), and go to
PCWorld today to see if they had the v4000 of the same model. Now
remember the packaging is exactly the same apart from a tiny sticker in
underneath that says v3000 or v4000.

The v4000 model uses the Zydas chipset, and worked straight away!

And ironically also in PCWorld this pm, they also have the same Belkin
F5D7050 with ENTIRELY new packaging, and guess what; a v4001 sticker.
Who knows what is in there?

Anyway, the website I mentioned to start with is excellent and
completely up to date, and will hopefully save on the hassles of getting
the 'wrong one'.

I'm going to test my new one with WPA too. Fingers crossed !!
ADDENDUM - It worked !! Great !!

Cheers

Julian Robbins