[HLUG] CentOS

matt stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 11:28:35 UTC 2008

Just to follow on from this in case other folks find it useful...

Install went a dream. I'm still getting a lot of stuff installed that
i don't want (bluetooth services, huh?) but it should be fairly easy
to go through the yum log and find the rubbish i don't want. I was
amazed at how much better fedora 8 handled my rt73 wireless dongle.
With 6 the firmware wasn't getting loaded correctly so i had to hack
my boot scripts to bring up the wireless later on in the boot
sequence, no such pain this time round.

The only real aggravation  i had was when i found my problem wasn't
software but hardware related (all the capacitors on my 2 month old
graphics card had blown!) Luckily i had a spare ati card floating
artound and got this installed but then found out that the radeon xorg
driver disables the tv out which wasn't much use to me as the machine
is connected to a crt via an svideo to scart convertor. Thankfully
"man radeon" told me all i needed to know to enable tv out in
xorg.conf and i was hooked back up to the tv by about 3am this
morning. A couple of hours sleep later and i'd configured autlogin for
mythtv and got ratpoison configured and up and running as mythtv's
default window manager.

Fingers crossed, i'll have mythtv installed and runnig before the
weekend's over :)

Cheers
Matt