[HLUG] New LUGMaster

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 9 23:28:27 BST 2008

Hi

I thought I'd post something about becoming the new LUGmaster. Firstly,
I'd like to that Mark B. for all the hard work he's put in over the last
two years. He did a lot of work behind the scenes with the website,
ensuring it was patched and up to date.  And the particularly tedious
but important job of going through our LUG spam filter every morning,
amongst many other more jobs like arranging the meetings.

Generally, things will probably not change a great deal. I have time
limitations with a youngfamily like Mark, so its a case of trying to get
as much out of whatever little free time we all have.

I am hoping to give a bit more notice to our meetings if possible, (see
how long that lasts :-) ), as I know that many of us need to have a bit
of forward notice to get to LUG meetings.

That said, our next LUG meeting, (arranged by Mark ), is next week on
the 16th July at the Day Centre in Hereford, (usual venue, see website
for details if you've not been before). More details to follow soon.

I suppose its a good chance to see how we're doing and what our group
would like to do more of, less of, and what we can improve on. The usual
problems lie with many small organisations, too many jobs, and not many
willing volunteers to carry them out.

So we have to realistic about what we can do: and do the smaller things
really well. ;-)

I'd like to see more use of our website; the blogging areas have been
used a bit, but could be used more. I'll try and post a mention of
meetings on the site in advance as well as the mailing list.
Our original HLUGmaster Noel, used to post a report of each meeting
held, what was discussed and who attended. If anyone wants to take this
up, on the mailing list or website, they're more than welcome.

I'm also hoping to have a LUG do of some sort at my house in Shobdon,
North Herefordshire in the summer. It will only be a low key affair,
possibly a normal meeting with a little food and drink on tap. There's
also a pub just a few yards down the road, so that might come in handy
too :-) More details soon.

I'm very proud that our LUG is seen as one of the more friendly and
welcoming UK LUG's (as mentioned by Wildwestcoaster in Dumfries
previously), and I certainly want to continue HLUG very much in that
tradition.

See you next week, at the meeting.