[HLUG] Ubuntu and Compiz videocard

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sun Mar 23 13:13:01 GMT 2008

Hi,

I currently am using a Nvidia 7900GS videocard on a Dell workstation.  However, I have had issues with this and Ubuntu, namely that when in the OS, the fan is at the maximum rate, and it is annoying.

I needed another machine for various bits, so I got one of those ESys machines with Ubuntu preloaded for around £130.  It is an OK machine, but the graphics are the integrated VIA graphics, which seems to default Ubuntu 7.10 to the Vesa driver and using Metacity.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap (less than £50 preferably), silent and working with Linux videocard that I can slot into this machine?  I am not going to play many games at all, but would like Compiz to work if possible.

The mobo in this machine is a Foxconn K8M890M2MA-RS2H if that helps.

Thanks.

Andrew.