[HLUG] Ubuntu and Compiz videocard

Benji Weber b.weber at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Mar 23 13:50:12 GMT 2008

On 23/03/2008, Andrew Hodgson <andrew at hodgsonfamily.org> wrote:

>  I currently am using a Nvidia 7900GS videocard on a Dell workstation.  However, I have had issues with this and Ubuntu, namely that when in the OS, the fan is at the maximum rate, and it is annoying.

One of the recent versions of the nvidia driver kept the fan on 100% duty cycle.

You can use the nvclock utility to reduce the fan speed. Keep an eye
on the temperature readings as you reduce it. It's normal for graphics
cards to run hot but If it's going above 70c or so then increase the
fan speed again.

--
Benjamin Weber