[HLUG] Ubuntu and Compiz videocard

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Sun Mar 23 17:33:11 GMT 2008

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I currently am using a Nvidia 7900GS videocard on a Dell workstation.  However, I have had issues with this and Ubuntu, namely that when in the OS, the fan is at the maximum rate, and it is annoying.
>

> I needed another machine for various bits, so I got one of those ESys machines with Ubuntu preloaded for around £130.  It is an OK machine, but the graphics are the integrated VIA graphics, which seems to default Ubuntu 7.10 to the Vesa driver and using Metacity.
>

> Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap (less than £50 preferably), silent and working with Linux videocard that I can slot into this machine?  I am not going to play many games at all, but would like Compiz to work if possible.
>

> The mobo in this machine is a Foxconn K8M890M2MA-RS2H if that helps.
>

> Thanks.
>
> Andrew.

Compiz isn't actually that hard in graphics terms, its just getting a
card that has good driver support, and the via isn't good. I would say
that the nvidia closed driver is probably the best out of ati/nvdia,
although there is probably not that much difference.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133004 Is very cheap, and is passively
cooled. Not sure if the turbo cache is a hardware or driver feature though.

I have always had machines with intel graphics, as I am not interested
much in games, and work perfectly (My EEE runs compiz very nicely).

As an aside, what do you think of the machine in general? They are
extraordinarily cheap! I noticed that the motherboard can take a dual
core X2 as well, so that may be a good upgrade.

Mj