[HLUG] Sun VirtualBox (& Wine, OCRopus etc etc)

Christopher Evans reactiv8 at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Sep 6 17:45:31 UTC 2008

Greetings all,

having seen VirtualBox actually running at the last meeting, I was keen to get it working on my PCs too ... I was advised on a forum that I needed the download version from Sun in preference to the one available from Synaptic, so this I duly obtained and installed. However, this is as far as I've got ... :(. When I try to start VB all I get is this:~

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf}

What is wrong here pretty please? After failing to get MythTV and Wine to play too ... :lol: With the best will in the world, I have no idea what to do next ... No prizes for guessing how I feel ... I would dearly love some support/assistance/help please, which I'd happily pay for as I know my wise peers have busy lives, and can't afford to give up their time for free. The only alternative I can think of is to bring my laptop with the apllications installed to the next meeting, but I suspect that I'll be treated like a pariah and you'll all run a mile ... Oh to have a 'study group' for 'newbies', 'twits' or whatever you'd like to call us ... I spend countless hours trying to teach myself to do these (?simple) things, with more patience than a saint, dare I say it, and I'm not stupid or completely ignorant about IT either. It is becoming painfully obvious to me now that all of this is what unfairly perhaps, gives Linux a bad name. When one sets out to 'break away' from the evil clutches of M$ Windoze, you're 'on your own', and unless you're the type of person with the knowledge and skill to build a space rocket in your shed, then prepare for much 'head banging'. To be perfectly honest, I'd leave Linux well alone, if I could afford the latest copy of Adobe Photoshop etc., but I can't ... Sometimes I hate computers - Understandably too, I think.

Chris.