[HLUG] Mailman Listinfo Security Certificate

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 22 20:29:27 UTC 2008

Christopher Evans wrote:
> The Herefordshire page now opens up OK too, but at the link to the mailing list:~

> Here's what I get:~
>

> Secure Connection Failed
>
> mailman.lug.org.uk uses an invalid security certificate.
>
> The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
>
> (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
>
>     * This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.
>
>     * If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.
>
>      Or you can add an exception…
>
> I'm reluctant to make an exception in the light of what I've been told about the security breach ... Ho hum

You're right to be careful, but in this case, I'm pretty sure its ok.
Firefox 3 have taken a robust stance (too robust?) on SSL certificates.
Having a SSL is not the only factor whether it will let you through now.
It also needs to be signed to confirm that the organisation behind
identifies themselves.

Many SSL certificates especially for non - business use do not use the
full fledged SSL certs as they are quite a bit dearer. Some
organisations, don't setup them up properly anyway.

There is an item about this in the current issue of Linux Format, where
the writer believes Mozilla have a gone a bit too far with this. I think
he has a point ....