[HLUG] hard drive partitioning advice

matt stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:14:59 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 dicegeorge at hotmail dot com <dicegeorge at hotmail.com>:

> And how to partition it?
> In the past when I split up huge hard drives into smaller partitions
> I found it a pain when each had a bit of free space and I wanted to cram
> something else on-
> better to have just one big partition with one bit of free space.
> That's when 20GB was huge.
> But what advice do you HLUGers have on partitioning for me?

Depends on what it's for. As you mentioned it's a "data" disk i'm
guessing you're not running an os from it and that it's just there for
storage?

If that's case, whatever suits your needs. For a non os disk, unless i
wanted it for a specific purpose, i wouldn't bother partitioning.
There's nothing worse than having loads of partitions and not quite
enough space on any of them to store a large file.

Cheers
Matt